Hi Jenny and other new folks.
I'm not a very old-time user of the Mac. I got mine in July. VO is my fifth
screen reader to learn. The first computer I learned was an Apple 2 E back in
the eighties. You should have heard me screaming also when I was learning
Windows with Jaws. Maybe you do this, too, but when I learn a new computer
thing I first assume that any problems I encounter, unless I find out to the
contrary, are because I don't know what I'm doing yet. I have found this almost
always to be the case, but I did find some things which turned out to be better
in Jaws than in VO, and vice versa. For instance, Jaws handles braille key
inputs better, but VO is less sensitive to braille displays coming on and off
and the computer going to sleep.

I think there is one thing that Apple could do that would help blind users.
When I have called Apple Care, I have had mixed results. Almost always, with
one exception that I can remember, I end up being transferred to the
Accessibility area, which is where I should have gone in the first place. This
last time was particularly frustrating because I had trouble convincing the
person that I couldn't follow his instructions to start clicking on the
left-hand side of the screen, even though I had given him all the information
he needed to know, namely that I couldn't see the screen and was a VoiceOver
user. The computer could be programmed to transfer us to someone who has more
experience with VoiceOver, and failing that, the person could save themselves
time by transferring the call right away.

I write all this because I just got an e-mail from the Accessibility Department
at Apple, and I have been trying to decide how I want to respond to it. I wrote
an e-mail to them telling them about my crashing of Lion last week. Admittedly,
I put at the end that, if they had any suggestions of how I could better use VO
to get !older versions I would appreciate information about that. The response
I got was that they were not equipped do that, and that i should contact Apple
Care. I have gotten some assistance by doing that before, but, as I said, it
can be a frustrating experience. I think that Apple needs a to give more
training " voiceOver to more customer service people.

Hang in there all new folks. You'll get there sooner or later.

Regards,
Gigi