go to applications > utilities > audio Midi setup.

To solve a problem like this, lets go into the main window where the devices
are found. as an example, there are 3 instances. Default line input, default
mic input, default line output.

in this instance, lets go to the default audio output. select it, Move around
until you hear SOURCE. then it should give either internal speakers, etc as an
option in a pull down menu. in this instance, lets use internal speakers as the
mac default.

now navigate around until you hear 2 buttons. add aggregate device / remove
aggregate device, the next one after that is a pulldown menu just says menu. go
into it and make sure that both "Use this device for system sounds" and Use
this device for sound output" are enabled.

this then should help.

if not, let me look into things and where possible, I'd like to try and help
you remotely.

lew

free macs for the blind.