Backing up your iTunes purchases is a matter of choice.  In the beginning,
it's easier, but as you buy more tracks, it becomes more and more intensive.
Ideally, it is advised to use a blank CD for backing up your purchases.  I
don't know if this has changed where you can use an external HD.  If you are
using Time Machine or some other method of backing up your Mac, though, I don't
see a reason to have to go throughout the trouble of backing up your purchases.

    In regards to burning the album for your mother, just create a playlist
with that album and there should be an option to burn the playlist to disk.  I
have made several albums this way.

Take Care

John Panarese
jpanar...@gmail.com