Agreed. You would think the profit margin from downloading a $10 album would be greater than CDs after the cost of duplication, shipping and store frontage/reselling is accounted for. What has changed is the labels can't stuff a bunch of junk on an album which you bought for the two 'good songs'. If the do you'll give them the $2 it's worth by just buying those two tracks. I think they also benefited from the media conversions as folks migrated from LPs to tapes to CDs. That migration over time generated a lot of revenue, which has pretty much dried up at this point. I remember dubbing LPs to casette and later re-buying some of those LPs on CD. At this point the quality is 'good enough' that most will never upgrade again. As has been pointed out on this list before, imperical studies found that more people chose the mp3 version of a track over the uncompressed version so something about that codec makes your iTunes library more appealing to listen to. The other great thing is portability. I used to carry a good sized "wallet" of CDs around and a portable CD player etc. which is now replaced by an iPhone. The iPhones now have enough capacity that most people just dump their whole library or, at a minimum, don't have to whittle the list down much. With more ubiquitous wireless access, even that need will go away over time. Why store it all when I can just play anything via the internet on demand. I'm not sold on that yet as I still like the idea of 'ownership' of my media. I still have the first Rush Moving Pictures CD I bough back in the early 80s.

CB