To elaborate on #1 and #2:

You can use any external hard drive and TimeMachine will keep adding incremental backups until the drive is full and then delete the oldest one first. Actually it's a little more elaborate than that. From Wikipedia:

Time Machine saves hourly backups for the past 24 hours, daily backups for the past month, and weekly backups for everything older than a month until the volume runs out of space. At that point, Time Machine deletes the oldest weekly backup.

You don't want to share this drive with TimeMachine for anything else because Time Machine eventually consumes all available space, like a big black hole :)

So along those lines, time machine is a regular Mac formatted disk so you could set up just a partition for it to operate on and use the rest of the drive space for something else. I actually have a second Mac as my time machine backup drive. I have a 2TB drive in the remote machine with a 1TB partition. I then share that with file sharing and then mount that on my laptop and point to the network volume with Time machine. When TimeMachine kicks off for the hourly backup it just mounts up that drive and does its thing. When I'm away from my desk time machine just fails but will try again when I'm back.

CB