David,
The application support folder had a google folder that only had one
file in it.  It was just called Chrome (I do not remember the
extension).  I deleted the Google folder, removed and reinstalled the
Chrome app, and I'm still having the same problem.  Chromevox is still
there and I can use it, but VO is next to useless.  It seems to just
read form controls and sometimes a few things near the form control.
For instance, if I go to metal-archives.com, it just reads the combo
box that specifies the search criteria.  It will not read anything
else on the page.  Chromevox has other issues with this site, so
Safari seems like the only way to use it successfully on the Mac with
a screen-reader.

Eric