Try moving them to [Gmail]/Trash instead.  That's what I do.

See my other mail about deleting. You could follow that route for a while and
then go into that folder of deleted messages and move them to [Gmail]/Trash.
Too bad we can't write a macro for Apple Mail to do this. That's what I do when
I use mutt to read and manage email.