I really want to second this message.

A while ago, many of us, myself among them, indicated that we wanted a more
relaxed moderation style on this list.  Cara has done that.  But what that
means is that there is greater onus on us to behave ourselves.  It is
inevitable on a list of this size that some of us will dislike each other, or
at least that we won't see eye to eye on everything.  When that happens, go
punch your pillow, complain to your partner, your friends or whomever will
listen, but let's keep the list the friendly, helpful place that it has always
been.  Personally, I think it is a shame that Lew feels he needs to leave the
list, he has a lot of expertise which he has been very generous about sharing.
I think his absence will be a real loss to the list.

 Finally, I would really hate to see us return to the days of heavy-handed
moderation.  My suggestion would be that if you have a conflict with a list
member, please simply ignore it, or if you can't do that for whatever reason,
take it off-list.  We're all grown-ups, and are presumably capable of taking
care of such things ourselves, without crying "where's the mod!"  Cara is
gracious enough to host the list.  She is not paid, and it's not her job to
babysit us or break up squabbles.

Just my $.02,
Donna.