Hi,

What you describe of a template file, is supported. You should find a stationary check box in the get info field. Stationary, lets you open up a template document and will force you to save it under a new name without altering the original. I do not run Lion, but I am fairly certain this is supported still. Please check it out and give it a try.

--Scott

Yes, I use the duplicate function to make copies of data sheets for different students/classes. This works well for the purpose. Although, you have to get used to not editing the original file. I suppose you could lock the file. Then, whenever you tried to edit it, you would be prompted to duplicate it or unlock it. I'll have to try this one myself.

-Greg