Hi,

TextEdit is built into the MacOS X operating system, and can be found in the
Applications folder.  So, yes, it is free, since it is installed with every
Mac.  It's used primarily to create or read text documents, which can either be
plain text or rich text format.

What may be of more interest to you, although May did not mention it, is that
in TextEdit VoiceOver will read all sorts of special characters, including
special math symbols, and characters for languages with non-Latin alphabets,
even if you don't have voices for those languages (e.g., Greek alphabet,
Cyrillic alphabet for Russian and other slavic languages), also emoji
characters, etc.

And if you select text in a Word document with an embedded table that VoiceOver
wouldn't otherwise read out, and send use the "New TextEdit Window Containing
Selection" service menu option (which you can enable by checking this option
under System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts  for Services), then
VoiceOver will read all text (including the tables) in that document from the
TextEdit window.

As an aside, if anyone is interested in using TextEdit to copy over special
characters, like emoji characters for messages, I wrote a description of how to
do this in the AppleVis site's Forum just a day ago.  Look under the OS X & Mac
App Discussion thread titled "using the special character itim pallet".  I
don't use the character palette for emoji, but you can get special math symbols
or Cyrillic or Greek alphabet letters easily copied with this method of opening
a TextEdit file and bringing up the Character Palette with Command-Option-T.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther