Hi Gerard,

If you are using Rich Text mode, TextEdit has a feature for creating tables,
but you'd be better off using a dedicated application like Numbers.  Many
people find Daniel Schwill's Tables application more intuitive to use,
especially in the way that it references cells.  This is the application that
we had before Numbers added VoiceOver accessibility, so there was VoiceOver
user input to the developer. You might like that better unless you're a power
user of spreadsheets, since Tables doesn't have good support for pivot table
functions, etc.

You can get a trial download from:
http://www-x-tables.eu/
And I think he also offers an educational discount.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther