Now that I can reliably go to the top and bottom of the message list in my
inbox, I offer the following suggestion.  You must make certain you are
interacting with the messages table for this to work.  If you hear something
like "sort by date", it is likely you are not interacting with the table.
Another quirk I have seen is even when I am in a messages list and I interact
with what I think is the Messages Table, on occasion, VO reports that I am
interacting with the Sender of the highlighted message, even though I am
supposedly in a messages list.  I don't know why this occurs, but thought I'd
pass it on.  As long as VO reports that you are interacting with the Messages
Table, you should get reliable results when moving to the top and bottom of the
messages list.  My thanks to Colin for alerting me to use the keyboard
commander, as I'd much rather use Option 1 and Option 2 than VO-Shift-Up arrow
or Down Arrow which is the default keystroke in Lion to go to the top and
bottom of the messages list.  BTW, those default keystrokes also only work if
you interact with the messages table.