Hi, or you could use a free word processor called Bean. It is regularly updated
as well and through it you can check your word count which is why I was looking
for an alternative to text edit which didn't provide the word count feature.
Just google Bean and it should be the 1st result. I don't think its in the Mac
app store so googling it will be the best result should you be interested.

Daniel