Hi Alex, well I use a free app called Bean and it works for me. I mainly got it
because Text Edit can't display your word count and tell me how many pages I
have written. Where as with Bean all I have to do is one simple keystroke and I
get all the info in a dialog box. I have also been able to save in that app in
.doc word format and go between windows and Mac at college and home. I like
both systems and I'm very glad I found this app. It also regularly updated too
and I think the developer is aware of us Voiceover users because he fixed some
labels that wern't correct in 3.8 and were supposively reporting there correct
status in 3.9 LOL I didn't even know what labels he was referring to but it was
mentioned in the change log so I assumed it was done.

Anyway hope this helps.

Daniel