Hi Jeff,
There are a handful of us who have had this problem in ML.  There were one or
two threads about how to expand these mailboxes, if you want to search the
archives.  Several solutions were presented but the one that worked for me was
to go to my mailboxes table, use VO + down arrow to navigate past the trash
folder to the name of the account I was looking for, interact with the name of
the account, and press VO + \.  When you find the name of the account, it
should say something like collapsed disclosure triangle.  If it works, VO will
tell you that the folder has been expanded.

I tried VO + \ several times before it actually worked.  I also tried switching
to classic view temporarily.  I'm not sure if that made a difference.

Best of luck,

Greg