I'm not sure what to say here.  I use a conversation view and I explicitly
collapsed all threads to begin with and I use standard view with the preview
pane completely closed.  I can arrow up and down the message list and use the
left and right arrows to collaps and expand conversations with no trouble.  I
always interact with the message table and then I can use VO-J to toggle back
and forth between the list of mail boxes and the message list for the currently
selected mail box.

On some rare occasions, I have run into a situation where the right arrow key
would not open a conversation for me.  I then had to fumble around cycling VO
off and back on and maybe jump around between mail boxes or something to
correct the situation.  Sorry I don't have a specific correct step for fixing
this but it has happened few times for me.