One thing to note is the mini, like all Macs in from the last decade or so, has both analog and digital audio optical outputs in the same jack. So given the right cable you can hook up the Mac to a full surround-sound home theater or the like. So playing a DVD will send the full 5.1 digital audio out and work just like a standalone DVD player. So I have an older Mac mini but don't know what the internal speaker really sounds like because it's hooked up to real speakers and such through the optical output.

CB