Give this a try if you can. Some of this does sound like the computer is not
connected to a monitor. What port are you using for the monitor connection?
Open the utilities folder and open the system information or system profiler
application, whatever you have. In the list of components, go down to displays
and look at what is displayed? Does it say a monitor is connected?