Hello Mike and all,
As you suggested, Mike, I opened up system information.app and my Mac Mini
shows that it has a monitor connected. It's the same monitor that was connected
before I tried running without one. I am totally at a loss. Today when I
rebooted the system it ran even poorer than it did yesterday. Even with just
finder running, it is slow and the speech can't say a single sentence without
breaking up.

Kristeen