Harry,  I have seen this occur when using VO-J, but it doesn't happen that
often.  Usually, I land on message text.  I use the modern view, and if a
thread has lots of messages, I will initially not hear the message text when
typing
VO-J.  But I'll tell you that I will put up with this to use modern view.  For
example, the thread on iTunes at one point had over 50 messages, and I deleted
all of them in one pass with conversation view on.  I could not have done that
with classic view.