It'll be best you wipe the mac HD partition
In fact, I have a podcast on doing a clean install. From the podcast, however,
you may want to consider making a USB thumb drive of M L in case the recovery
goes.
You can find my podcasts at
www.danielcproductions.net
The episode will be DPC Episode 3: Mountain Lion CleanInstall. dpc3.mp3
http://danielcproductions.net/files/dpc3.mp3
if you wish to subscribe to my podcast feed
http://danielcproductions.net/files/feed.xml

Let me know if my podcast helps; it goes through a live reinstall and media
creation.
As well, if you need help, please subscribe to my podcast mailing list
dpc-subscr...@danielcproductions.net
Have a great day.
Daniel
System Administrator