Nah, I have run into this problem too.  In my case, I was interacting
with the message list table and when I would press either left or
right arrow keys without any other modifiers, I would hear a ding.
The one way I'm able to get out of this bind is to turn off VO with
the usual Command-F5 key, then press left or right arrow keys back and
forth until it stops dinging.  This usually fixes after a couple key
strokes.  then I can turn VO back on and all is fine after that until
this happens a few days later.  Not sure why this is happening and I'm
not sure which package to blame but at least I can fix the deal
without having to reboot or anything that drastic.

HTH.