Weird. They must be checking the DRM (HDCP) stuff to the TV which probably fails when there is no TV.

CB

On 1/9/13 12:55 PM, Buddy Brannan wrote:
If you plan to use Netflix or Hulu, at least, it appears that you need a TV. If
I don't have an active video source, i.e. TV, turned on when i access either
service, there's no audio. Hulu actually complains about it, and Netflix just
won't play without some active thingy connected to the HDMI and, presumably,
decoding video.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Jan 9, 2013, at 12:03 PM, "wayne coles" <wayne...@gmail.com> wrote:

                Hello jjjjjjjjjjjjjjust to make things clear to use a apple
tv can I get away with out using a tv with hdmi or do I still need a hdmi tv
please make it clear for me thanks in advance

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Christopher-Mark
Gilland
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:07 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Apple TV to stereo receiver

For one thing, you don't run the Apple TV directly into the receiver.  I
mean, I suppose you could if you had h d m i, but me personally, I ran my
Apple TV via HDMI into my television, then I run my television out via RCA
to the red white RCA in on my 5.1 surround receiver.

Thank you kindly,

Christopher-Mark Gilland.
Founder of CLG Productions