If you use keyremap4macbook, you can get modifiers on both sides of the
keyboard. What I do is change return to be return when pressed by itself but
control when placed in combination. So on the right side of the keyboard, I
have command and option and by reaching just a little and adding return I have
vo keys. I also happen to use the configuration that allows caps lock to be
voiceover keys so I have two options on the left side. They are some other ways
to set up the right side of your keyboard with keyremap4macbook so you could
play around with it if you are interested and maybe find something that works
for you. I also like having vo-keys on both sides so I used the larger old
bluetooth Apple keyboard until it died and also still do have the usb keyboard
with the full numeric keypad. I like having options.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart