Hello Sara,

The quickest resource to point you to is Apple's VoiceOver Downloads page:
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/downloads.html

That contains the link to the current VoiceOver Getting Started Guide (that is
also on your computer if you start up VoiceOver with Command-F5), and can be
accessed once VoiceOver is turned on by pressing Control-Option-F5 by accessing
the VoiceOver Help menu with Control-Option-h

The Control and Option key combinations are referred to here as the "VO-Keys",
and are pressed in combination with other letters.  So to bring up the help
menu with VO-h means pressing Control-Option-h.

When you turn on VoiceOver with Command-F5, you will be taken through an
introduction training in the basics.  More details are given in the VoiceOver
Getting Started Guide (on the web), with a summary of commands in the
appendices.

There are different resources for learning about the accessibility APIs for
developers.  Another good place to get basic information is the AppleVis.com
web site under the Users Guides,  David Woodbridge has been running a series of
podcasts for new Mac users there, and also has a number of resources at the
Vision Australia Web site.

This is an older link to their web pages, but is more suited to an introductory
impression:
Adaptive Technology Related POD casts, files, and links
<http://www.adaptive-tech.org/ess/html/>

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther