Hi here is a option from Travis!
There might be items of interest on his site for others to look at!
His site!

http://www.softcon.com/mac
In his own words!
Here is a version of text edit that has the character, word, line and paragraph
counting built-in. It can be accessed by using the command-option-P key
combination, or on the properties option under the file menu. Hope this helps
some.

Text Edit.zip

HTH Colin