Hi Traci,

As Chris pointed out, the status bar that displays the number of items, playing
time, and size of your selected playlists at the end of the iTunes window is
turned off by default under iTunes 11, and you need to turn on showing that
again either by navigating to the "View" menu on the iTunes menu bar and
selecting "Show Status Bar", or by using the iTunes 11 keyboard shortcut of
Command-Slash for toggling the status bar between show and hide.

Another way to control the size of a playlist that syncs to your shuffle or
other device is to use the smart playlist option of limiting the size of your
playlist to a specific size.  For example, let's say that you want to create a
smart playlist with up to 1.8 GB of music content that you want to transfer to
your iPod Shuffle.  You can use the Command-Option-N keyboard shortcut to
create a new smart playlist, navigate to rules section and interact to set up
rules for the content you want to include, like "Artist is" or "Album is" and
then fill in the name in the text box. Remember that you can set the pop up
buttons for any of your rule selections to items like "Artist", "Album", or
"Genre", and that once you create a second rule by pressing the "add" button at
the end of your first rule, you can navigate back to set the pop up button that
specifies whether you want to match "all" of the rules or "any" of the rules.
Once you have set up a few rules for what you want included in your playlist,
you can stop interacting with the rules section and navigate to the check box
that allows you to limit the content of your playlist in terms of number of
items, time, or size (in MB or GB, according to the selected pop up button) and
by selected criteria, such as album, artist, highest (or lowest) rating, most
(or least) often played, most (or least) recently added to your library, etc.
Then you can go view the resulting playlist content and decide whether you want
to modify any of the rules for content or selection.

Smart playlists are convenient ways to create playlists to specific criteria --
like making a workout playlist that is exactly 30 minutes long.  If you like
the selection criteria, and want to freeze the selections, just do a Command-A
to select all the items in the smart playlist and then do a Command-Shift-N to
create a new playlist from your selection and assign it a name.  That will keep
the selection criteria from changing.  However, if you always want your
playlist to give preference to the most recently added content of your library,
for example, using a smart playlist can continuously update its contents to
meet meet such criteria. You could make one of the rules be that only songs you
had played a minimum of 20 times be included included in your smart playlist,
and that rule would update over time.

Just some alternate suggestions for creating playlists.  The ability to limit
smart playlists by size, and to specify preferred criteria for cutting things
down to match this, can be very handy for deciding what you want synced to a
device.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther