Interesting. Safari supports MathML but apparently doesn't pass anything meaningful on to voiceover, or voiceover is mangling it. I tried a simple pythagorean theorem which should read "a squared plus b squared equals c squared" but read "a two b two c two with five items math" which is nothing like I expected. Apparently MathML was implemented in webkit primarily by a lone developer who just got tired or Apple not doing it, so it's only in there because Alex Milowski and friends took it on. Only other stuff I could find was requests to contact Chris Bledsoe at Apple about it:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Does-anyone-have-experience-trying-2122947.S.133817800

CB