I don't think so; I've tried to do that several times, and the finder never
actually relaunches, and in the end you have to shut the machine down via the
power button.  I've unfortunately had to do that several times when I've tried
to empty my recycle bin or copy a file, and one or the other gets hung up, and
canceling the operation does nothing but say "stopping," but the operation
never stops, just sits.