Hi,

I'm currently using a Windows pc with the Window-eyes screen reader, and am considering switching to Mac when purchasing my next computer. I'm wondering how the Mac experience will differ from my experience with Window-eyes.

1. Is there a braille transcription program available? I currently use Duxbury, with a 15 year old Index Everest embosser. I'm open to using a different braille transcription program, as long as the cost isn't prohibitive, but I'd like to be able to use my embosser.

2.  How about OCR?  I currently use Kurzweil 1000.

3. Are there any music notation programs that will work on the Mac? I currently have not found anything that will work with Window-eyes. I would like to find software that will allow me to scan music on to the computer, and will either read or play the music. It would also be nice to be able to write music notation on the computer.

4. How does the word processing experience differ from pc to Mac? I'm not a high power user of word, but do use it for very basic documents. Is there much difference in creating and editing documents on a Mac?

How about email? I really don't like web based email. I prefer to download my email to Outlook Express. I like the Outlook Express layout, and the ease in creating folders and mail rules. Can I download my email on the Mac? I'll probably come up with lots more questions. But, these are the ones I've been really wondering about for quite some time.

Thanks,

Karen P