The question to ask yourself is, why am I considering switching to a Mac?

Like you, I am a K1000 user and also a Window Eyes user.I'm not a power user of
Word either, but I love the simplicity of printing directly to my Index
embosser from within Word just by accessing the Duxbury item in Word's menu and
embossing directly from there. No hassle. No 3 programs to switch among and
mess with. As was mentioned, Duxbury is apparently working on a Mac version of
their program. What will its capability and accessibility be, especially since
Word on the Mac is inaccessible? Will it work with Text Edit or Pages? Nobody
knows, but one thing we do know: it won't be free. And you already own the
Windows version.

I don't know how many of the K1000 features you take advantage of. But I can
say without doubt that there is no equivalent on the Mac side. There are
solutions, and one or another might meet your needs, depending on what those
are. But since you've already paid the money for K1000, what prompts you to
want to switch? You could consider running Windows on a Mac, either via
bootcamp, the solution I chose, or via VMWare Fusion.

I bought my Mac 4 years ago with the hope that, by the time my Windows xp
machine had to go, scanning and word processing and embossing would have
matured to the level they are on Windows for blind users. Such is not the case,
which is why I am sticking with Windows for some things. If you are not one of
the "I hate Microsoft" ideologs, who want to use a Mac because they can and
because they just plain don't like MS, then consider carefully before you
decide to take on a whole new os with its attendant learning curve.

If you're moving to a Mac because you will save money on screen readers,
consider that the machine alone is liable to cost you more than a pc, and that
you could put that savings towards the cost of keeping up your screen reader
subscription, or you could try the NVDA screen reader, which is free and quite
good for lots of things. I'm not saying Macs are bad. I'm not saying they're
not a good solution for somebody who doesn't have an investment in Windows
applications that are specialized, like K1000 and a screen reader. I'm just
suggesting that you should analyze your needs and why you are considering the
switch. I love the Apple mail program. I can't compare it with Outlook Express,
because I never used that program. Good luck with the decision.\
\
Mary
Mary Otten
motte...@gmail.com