Yes, apparently limiting the folder size of IMAP folders helps, though it would
be annoying not to be able to search through old email.

I turned on All Mail before upgrading, and once I upgraded I just opened Mail
and let it sync with gmail for several hours. I didn't try using Mail at all
during this time, and I didn't use gmail from any other device. It got stuck at
one point and I had to quit Mail and reopen, but apart from this it doesn't
seem to be having any problems. It seems to be working fine, except for the
other VoiceOver related issues in Mail. I only have around ten thousand
messages in All Mail, so that's probably one reason. I also didn't use Mail
with Mavericks for too long given other issues, so perhaps I didn't use it long
enough to have problems. I think the biggest issue is just that people had
problems trying to use gmail while it was taking time to re-format every
message to work in the new Apple Mail—gMail way.

For people wanting to know more about this, google Joe Kissell's articles on
TidBits about gmail and Apple Mail. He's the guru on this subject. His latest
article is here:
http://tidbits.com/article/14219