Hi Cait,

I'm the one who manages the Christmas music playlist n my family, so I have a
sure fire way for you to create your smart playlist.

Instead of using the Genre field to create the playlist, I use the Grouping
field to indicate that the files are christmas songs.

YOu can do this easily by pressing command-I on the particular song, navigating
to the grouping field and typing "Christmas". YOu can do multiple songs at a
time this way. I do this for particular songs on an album, especially if I
don't want the entire album in my christmas playlist.

Once you have "Christmas" in the Grouping field, you can specify that Grouping
contains "Christmas" in the smart playlist rules. YOu'll have a smart playlist
containing all of the songs you want.

To prevent the songs from coming up on shuffle when you've got the rest of your
library playing, you can select all in the Christmas playlist and uncheck them.
(I do this after the Christmas season.) If you check "Skip when Shuffling" in
the options dialog, they will skip when you use shuffle, but not if you're
playing the songs one after the other in your playlist.

I personally check and uncheck the songs in the playlist, as I prefer the
occasional surprise Christmas song when I am shuffling through the rest of my
music or when programming music for a party.

Contact me off list if you need a hand with anything here.
Kevin