You don't need the file menu and you don't activate the menu bar.

Choose podcasts from the table, meaning interact with the table and when on
podcasts stop interacting.
Do vo-right arrow until you come to the "subscribe" button. Do vo-space on the
subscribe button.
A dialog comes up telling you to enter the url of the podcast you want to
subscribe to. Enter the url and do vo-space on subscribe.Once you have done
that, type the name of the podcast in the search field and then vo-right arrow;
there should be a table with your episodes. i think they play but do not
download. There is a record function in the playback menu you could use.
If you want to find the url for a podcast you already subscribed to in itunes,
open iTunes and choose podcasts from the pop-up (the pop-up probably has Music
at the top). Then choose the "my podcasts" radio button. Find the podcast for
which you want the url and do vo-shift-m; one of the menu items will be copy
url. This copies the url and then you can paste it in VLC's text field next to
the subscribe button.

--
Cheryl

Go beyond the Christmas story this year;
meet Immanuel (God with us),
Jesus, the crucified Savior,
Christ, the risen Lord.