From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Robert Carter
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 1:12 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: huge mail problems still

Hi,

Perhaps I am not in quite as much of a hurry as some people. For me,
however, having the information read in the order that it is presented works
well for me. I hear the subject a brief preview and whether or not the
message is part of a thread. I listen to as little or as much of this
information as needed with the goal of making a decision regarding whether
or not I want to read more of the message or simply move on.

This approach seems just perfect to me.

Robert Carter

Sent from my iPad

<lisettewessel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicholas,
> Yes I get conversation thread  information announced last too, but it has
stopped bothering me. If I want to know if something is a conversation, I
press right arrow. If  it opens.  it is  a conversation, and if it doesn't
open, it's not a conversation.

<mr.nicholas.pars...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The main problem for me with Mavericks Mail is that the read/unread
status of messages, and the number of messages in the thread, are announced
last by VoiceOver when navigating through the message list. This slows my
progress significantly as I have to wait for VoiceOver to announce
everything else before I get this important information. I'm interested in
whether Robert and others have this issue too, as it seems to me like
something that's not dependant on individual settings.

>> My work around for this has been to turn the preview line off in the
Viewing tab of Mail Preferences. This way I don't need to listen to the
message read out before finding out whether it's read or unread, and how
many messages there are in the thread. However, this is a real drawback to
me as hearing the preview often allowed me to dismiss a message quickly
without needing to open it first.

>> For clarification, I've been doing this on a 2011 MacBook Air. I use Mail
in standard view with threading turn on and the preview pane fully
collapsed. I read through the list of messages by using the up and down
arrows while VO focus is on the message list. I don't interact with the
message list table and I do not have QuickNav turned on. To read a message,
I use command-o to open it in a new window and then just use the arrow keys
to read line by line etcetera (with, of course, QuickNav still turned off).