After having read some 74 messages in this thread, I thought I would
chime in here with a further explanation of VO + J and how I
personally prefer to use Mail.

First off, VO-J jumps VO to the next control at same level. I
absolutely love using this key combination in iTunes; it jumpss me
from the table of songs up for playing, the player display window and
the artist list. Anyway, this thread concerns Mail. When preview is
turned off, you cannot use VO-J to open or focus the message. You have
to explicitly open the message in a new window with Return or
Command-O. In my case, I am using standard view with previews turned
off; for me VO-J jumps be back and forth between the list of mail box
folders and the message list. that works just perfectly fine for me.
Oh, I also have threading turned on. One big reason why I dislike
preview so much is preview causes the message to be marked read by
just passing over it with the arrow keys in the message list. I often
read messages out of sequence and want to be able to keep track of
which is read or unread.

As of now, I am still using Mountain Lion so am not sure if this
general concept changes with Mavericks or not.

Hope this clarifies some things about that hot key.