There are several ways to go about it. When you're focused on a conversation in
the message list, you can press VO-backslash or right-arrow to open it. I
consider the arrow method to be less reliable, though. Then you can down-arrow
through the messages in that conversation. You can also press VO-J when on a
conversation in the message list. This will take you to the text of the first
message. The only problem with that method for me is that in order to go to
another message body, you have to stop interacting with that message text, then
VO right. I use this method myself: I find a conversation in the list, stop
interacting with the message column, then VO right to the content area. You can
VO-left- and right-arrow through the conversation. The only problem a lot of
people have with this is that you hear "embedded" a lot and the sender and
subject of the message when you do this. This doesn't really bother me. Opening
the conversation with vO-backslash is the other method I use, because I havd
set my preview to five lines, and I can hear enough of the message that way to
find out whether I want to hear more when I interact with the content area.

there are a couple of settings to check. First, in the viewing tab of Mail
preferences, set it up the way you want, whether you want the last message
first or vice versa. Also, if you use "related messages" these will show up
again in your mailbox and be included in your message count. Otherwise, the
message count in the conversation doesn't include past messages.

A very important thing to keep in mind when using the new view is that the
messages will be marked as read once you've focused on them, unless you decide
not to use the preview pane.

Sorry about the long-winded post, but it's a wee bit complicated. :)

Hth,
teresa

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."--Groucho Marx