At 08:26 AM 7/26/2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,

> Kate, your initial work looks very promising, but I'm curious
> why you're
> doing a port of Qt itself instead of Qt/e, which is
> significantly smaller
> (less features of course)?

Maemo (and therefore the Nokia 770 device) uses X11 and there is no place for Qt/e which does not use X. Qt/e emulation to get some software running on the maemo and the current maemo compliant device is a great idea if it will work, if you ask me. However, replacing
the X11 with Qt/e / qtopia would be really bad idea (IMHO).

you've actually done the work, so you know more than I am, I'm simply throwing out questions based on my understanding. My intent has never been to replace X11 or Maemo, but to have a qtopia app run in it, rather like when we sell Qt apps and someone runs them on a GNOME desktop, we include the libs required for it to run. You miss some things like cut&paste in this environment due to no shared clipboard (at least last time I checked). Now what immediately comes to mind is that your file dialogs will probably look and work differently, but even on the Zaurus we've always had our own look and feel in our apps.

I have compiled both Qt3/X11 and Qt4/X11 for maemo. I haven't tried to put the Qt4 to the
device yet since it is quite huge with the default options.

We've done a little Qt4 porting on the desktop so far and it's a heck of a lot of work. Even moving Qtopia apps to Qt is not particularly trivial, it kind of depends on the function of the app though.

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen

Regards,

Shawn Gordon