On 10/20/05, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We could have a package called "KernelConceptsRepository", that, when
> installed, it will just append your repository to apt/sources.list.

   For security reasons, Application Installer runs under user
'install', so unfortunately (or fortunately :) ) it can't update
/etc/apt/sources.list. Also, as 'install' is an ordinary user, no
files installed with Application Installer can be suid root.

> After that we can have some GUI to browse packages from
> repositories... but we should come with a clean solution to mask out
> system packages! With that user would see a pretty "AbiWord - Text
> processor" "Gnumeric - Spread sheet" ... icons in his device.
>     This would be something like Linspire "Click-n-Run".
>
> But then we have the security problem to edit /etc/apt/sources.list ... ideas?

   Give time some time, I believe it will only be a matter of time
before someone (from the Maemo community) releases an AI++ (which
installs software on the root directory).

   (again, AI++ would not be installable via AI, but at least you
would only need to gain root access only once)

   Best regards,

   Rodrigo