Tommi Komulainen wrote:
This message was brought to you by the performance police. The builtin
stock icons compiled in the gtk+ library are causing extra >30k dynamic
memory consumption regardless of whether they're ever used. In 770 all
icons are coming from the icon theme anyway, so this is a cheap and
simple optimization to do. And everyone loves to have better
performance, right? :)

I know this is pretty bold comment from me but if you think 30KB is enough to break compatibility, why not to use uClibc instead of glibc or ipkg packaging system from Familiar instead of full dpkg and .deb?

I admit I still don't have the device so I'm watching all this from a distance but I am curious why you went for full glibc and dpkg. Did you evaluate uclibc and ipkg at Nokia and found it is not good enough? Or is glibc and dpkg not considered bloated in embedded devices anymore?

I know Familiar distribution used ipkg because full dpkg was overkill and used glibc mainly for better compatibility with other arm/debian based devices but if Maemo is different anyway and don't care about compatibility why not to try uclibc?

I also admit I now lived in PalmOS world for few years so my knowledge about recent changes in linux on ARM is a bit outdated and I actually never tried uclibc on ARM, only i386.

Frantisek