On Wed, Nov 09, 2005, Johannes Eickhold wrote:
> > Searching for remote devices and creating outgoing RFCOMM connections
> > (e.g. to serial port profile) doesn't require root privileges, so that
> > should work just fine with the normal firmware.
>
> As the wiki states on http://maemo.org/maemowiki/BluetoothGPS root
> access is requiered to create the needed rfcommX device node. Following
> that HowTo i successfully read NMEA data from my GPS mouse. I don't know
> how to do this without such a device node.

Well, the wiki is wrong :-) You can connect to the device as normal user
using e.g. "rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0 <bt addr>" (the mknod part in
the wiki is unecessary because udev should do the job for you). The
bind method described in the wiki does indeed require root privileges,
but even in that case you can use the rfcomm_bind method of the btcond
D-BUS interface [1] which doesn't require root privileges.  Actually, if
you intend to use gpsd for GPS access I think the bind method is better
because gpsd will only open the device when needed (so the BT connection
will also only be created when needed).

[1] http://www.maemo.org/platform/docs/osso-gwconnect.html

Johan