I tried the instructions and scripts for modifying the root filesystem,
http://maemo.org/platform/docs/howtos/howto_use_flasher_rootfs.html

It seems the rootfs.packages and sources.list are out of date, or there are a
few packages missing (hildon-status-bar-display).

The make_rootimage.sh script seems a bit unfinished, as it's help lists
--outprefix and --jffs2 which do not work.
(looking at the script, it seems there are a few missplaced 'x' characters,
and variable not all caps)

I manually tar.gz the resulting root filesystem (the web page doesn't mention
the need to do this part), and ran the tar2jffs2.sh, script, flashed the
device, but the device keeps rebooting..