Hi,
I see the discussion moving away from the original subject of Alarm
management to device management.
it wasn't expected, but it's fine, let's just change subject.
So please let me spend a few more words on power 770 states and device
states in general.

As I wrote in another mail, we really didn't care about suspend because
we do not need it, since it is some sort of lame way to save power:
giving up response time in favor of power saved. Of course I can brag
here about how good our power management is because we have hw that
supports it. So suspend is still an honorable choice for those devices
with hw that is less willing to help.

The 1710 power management hardware is not exactly straightforward but it
works indeed, up to a point that it can reliably "run" for relatively
long periods without actually wasting too much power.

The price for it is that we had to fix drivers and applications so that
they would behave decently, without keeping resources (clocks)
constantly allocated and without generating unnecessary activity.

But that is GOOD anyway because it means having better code, better
algorithms.

So the 770 can save power even when you have the device in your hand
with the screen lit and a wireless connection open, as long as it's not
actually doing something, like rendering a web page.

Of course the saving won't be as much as it would be when nothing is
running and the screen is off, but anyway it takes advantage of these
situations automatically, when they occour.

And this is probably one of the worst situations. Everything else can
enjoy much better power saving because of the less demanding operating
conditions.

So in the end the whole discussion boils down to how to the UI
implementation for certain locking/unlocking features.

Suspend is neither necessary, nor desirable. And it would introduce
nasty situations, like in the case of being on a plane, or removing the
mmc from a suspended device that is swapping on it.

The idle/sleep states are already taking care to manage your device on
your behalf. That's what could rather be improved, so that the device
would spend even more time in low power states, without affecting the
performance.

Regarding interactions with the 770 that involve entering into some
power saving mode: one way to force the power saving to be immediate is
to close the cover, the other one is to use the menu from the power
button. And this can be done with one single hand.
I'm not left handed and I don't do juggling in my spare time, but still
i can do the trick quite easily.

I think that these issues really belong only to personal taste: we
cannot realistically make everyone happy, but we can provide means to
easily customise the device behavior, like David mentioned, so that if
you don't like how it works, you can help yourself.

One last thought: keeping the 770 in your poket without the cover makes
it more likely for the screen to be scratched, damaged and so on.
No matter how lazy I am, I'd make sure that the cover is in place before
poketing the device.