Brad Midgley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Arnaud
>
> The strange thing is that when you're on the lowest level the gui will
> allow (1), the display goes a little dimmer than that when idle and the
> sys file actually reports the value 0. But if you *write* a 0 to the sys
> file, the backlight turns off altogether.
>
> This leaves two interpretations for a 0 value.

after looking at the kernel sources, you have 2 ways of setting the PWM
value for the backlight :
- through sysfs
- through /dev/tavho with an ioctl (look at the tahvo-user.c and tahvo.h
files in the kernel).

If you use the first method, you're have to cope with a scale factor eg
when you write 1, you'll write 1*0x7f/0x0f=0x08. This is also happening
when you read the file.

If you use the second method, you may write an arbitrary value for the
pwm. This is probably how is working the gui. This is why 1 with the gui
is not the same 1 as with sysfs.

If you try to set the level with the ioctl, to something like 1, you'll
get a darker screen as expected but it'll go a few sec later to the gui
setting.

I hope that this helps you :)

Arnaud