On ons, 2006-04-19 at 13:06 -0700, ext Shawn Gordon wrote:

[snip]

> faster because it is done, has been used, refined, debugged and
> developed for for years, so other than device drivers in the kernel
> it wouldn't have taken hardly any time at all to get it up and running.
>
> cheaper - I'm assuming cheaper based on what I know of the licensing
> costs and the costs to hire a bunch of developers for years to
> develop and support the software.  Nokia is not going to just rely on
> the open source community for something that they depend on, they
> will certainly have their own developers and these are going to be
> far more expensive than simply paying a small per unit license cost
> (I'm talking ones of dollars per unit).

Just using plain Qtopia wouldn't have been an option, just as using
plain GTK+ without Hildon wasn't an option; we had to use a UI that
looks somewhat like Nokia's earlier products, without forking too
wildly.  So the work effort would've been the same either way; the
difference being that Qtopia would've incurred the added penalties
of a licensing cost, C++, and of course the extra legal issues
surrounding the fact that Qtopia is GPL, not LGPL.  The Nokia legal
process is not a smoothly operating machine, it's more akin to
the Spanish inquisition...

[snip]

The world is only black and white if you filter out the greys
by deliberately ignoring to see some things and are not privy to
other things.

Regards: David