> What do you guys think? Should we try to push out the SB development
> environment early, even if the developers can test apps on real device?

Very brief:
        YES!

I think Koen is perfectly right that developers should get a chance to
cross compile their apps with the new dev-env. Even if not being able to
test them on the device directly it will still dramatically shorten the
time from release of IT2006 until getting stable apps for the new
environment.
So I think it is really worth it.

Besides it might also be nice for Nokia to get early feedback on the
Maemo 2.0 and probably be able to fix minor things.

Yes, I agree whole heartedly. To have the base platform in place
people can test their apps and give feedback that way you can get a
much wider testing of the base platform before launch and possibly fix
any brown paper bag issues that others may catch. It also allows the
app developers to test their apps in the maemo v2 environment so they
can get them running  in the dev env and just have to do final testing
in the live image when it ships to fix any minor issues allowing
updated apps to hit the net shortly after the launch. There are
certainly some apps that I use constantly that will stop me from
directly upgrading to thee IT2006 before they become available.

Cheers,
Pete