Tapani Pälli wrote:

I think there's no guarantee that you will get "HW surface" from SDL, it
will silently fallback to SW surface if it cannot have HW one.

SDL draws to X, X draws to the framebuffer mapped by kernel which then
updates that data to the lcd controller where screen gets finally
updated. I would recommend to blit things in memory, then push only
needed parts with SDL_UpdateRects trying to avoid fullscreen updates.

Yes. So to draw without tearing effect either X of framebuffer driver should report when to draw (vblank period or which line is currently drawn by hardware) or the controller has to have two buffers so single or multiple SDL_UpdateRects could be pushed to visible screen in one operation (SDL_Flip) in appropriate moment.

Frantisek