Daniel Stone wrote:
On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 09:07:57AM +0300, ext Siarhei Siamashka wrote:

Does Nokia 770 hardware really support YUV colorspace?

My understanding is that the only support we have right now is through
the DSP.

Hello Daniel,

could we clarify this a bit? As far as I understand it the omapfb framebuffer driver (drivers/video/omap/hwa742.c) has access to the Epson 742 chip and according to kernel source supports YUV->RGB color conversion when transferring data from main memory to internal video ram via OMAPFB_UPDATE_WINDOW ioctl defined in include/asm-arm/arch-omap/omapfb.h. There is color format parameter in this ioctl and one of the defined ones is OMAPFB_COLOR_YUV420

Do you say that DSP has such driver duplicated in DSP code and accesses this chip directly? or does the DSP do colorspace conversion in its code and the features of HWA747 chip and ioctls with OMAPFB_COLOR_YUV420 is actually not used (maybe because there is some problem with it)?

I thought DSP only decodes video to shared framebuffer in main memory and the actual transfer to epson chip is done by omapfb driver i.e. by ARM CPU from gstreamer or directly from mediaserver code.

Am I wrong with this? If not, is it possible to add YUV surfaces to xserver (via Xv or Nokia Xsp extensions) so it could be used from X11 code in Mplayer or (nonpartched or patched) SDL ?

I have actually asked similar question but so far got no answer.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/developers/10223#10223

Frantisek