> >>  - Second put that "internal" implementation somewhere so that it can be
> >> enhanced and productised by the community, like e.g. Garage.
> >> If you do not do so I see the danger that the community might not be
> >> willing to wait for a next IT2007 edition which might eventually have
> >> the framework in place (or may not). But instead we might end up with
> >> double effort, i.e. the community develops such a framework, uses it
> >> until you/Nokia release your version and the community version will
> >> become obsolete - very annoying.
> >
> > Well, it all boils down to manpower.  It might seem that it's an easy
> > enough thing to just release things into the public and let the
> > community to the rest, but everything has to go through the Nokia legal
> > machinery before this can happen, thus the work needed is pretty
> > significant.  At the moment we prefer using our time to make the new
> > alarm framework as good as possible (which will be properly documented).
>
> This is worrying me a lot. You're effectively saying "We don't want the
> community to be involved". I'm pretty close to exchanging 'maemo' with
> 'qtopia' (and vice versa) in this mail:
> http://lists.trolltech.com/qtopia-interest/2006-06/msg00000.html and
> repost it to this list.
> *

Not at all. Community involvement is wanted and actively sought.

As David pointed out legal due diligence is necessary and it can add
some overhead and latency but it is not as bad as it sounds.

We are currently developing a number of components in the open, meaning
components for which every commit is done directly on a public SVN and
releases are made from there.
That includes many of the components of the Hildon Application
Framework, which you can find here:
https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/projects/haf

We have recently setup a bleeding edge distro to allow people to follow
the bleeding edge and participate.
http://repository.maemo.org/sardine/
You can follow up what goes on in Sardine here:
http://repository.maemo.org/sardine/rss20.xml

Community involvement is most definitely wanted.

Not every component in Maemo is currently developed in the open, but
there is a clear trend of increasingly open development. As David
pointed out, it takes time and effort to get there so please be patient.

One great way to speed up the process is simply to get involved with the
components that are already in open development, using them, reporting
problem, suggesting improvements, sending patches.

Carlos