Hi,

> I also tried to search for tools that could identify alignment problems
> automatically, but did not find anything useful. Probably the most easy
> way to make such tool is to modify valgrind to track alignment for each
> memory access operation. But don't know, I ended up finding and fixing
> such problems in my code manually without the help of any tools   :)

GCC can help, at least to an extent. See "man gcc":
    -Wcast-align
        Warn whenever a pointer is cast such that the required alignment
        of the target is increased.  For example, warn if a "char *" is
        cast to an "int *" on machines where integers can only be
        accessed at two- or four-byte boundaries.

        - Eero